Friday 10 April 2015

Why I love harem trousers

        

I LOVE harem trousers! Ever since I received my first pair from my mother in law in Turkey, I have loved them. They are so comfortable but also very practical and stylish. I wore them constantly throughout my second pregnancy and after wearing them I just could never get back into wearing maternity jeans as jeans felt so uncomfortable.

              


The first harem trousers I wore were a busy floral pattern with elasticated waist. I threaded the elastic in myself so I could adjust it to my size. This meant I could also adjust the elastic during pregnancy but I actually never needed to as it always stretched. I also added elastic to the ankles as I preferred the look. With elasticated ankles it means I can wear them long or pull them up to my knees when I am in the house.

                  

These cotton. floral harem trousers are normal, village wear. You will often see the ladies wearing them around the villages in Turkey because they are so practical. The women do the housework or work out on the farms and in the fields wearing these harem trousers. It's much easier than wearing a maxi skirt. The other advantage I have found, particularly in Turkey, is they are great to wear when sitting on the floor. In my in laws house, they have floor cushions around the edge of the rooms which they sit on instead of a sofa. They do actually have a room with sofas in as well but nobody sits on them! They all prefer sitting on the floor. I find wearing harem trousers the most practical thing to wear when sitting on the floor as you can move around without fear of flashing something!

                   


Another thing I love about harem trousers is they have pockets in them. The cotton harem trousers have a pocket in one side and the jersey ones have pockets in both sides. It is so useful to have a pocket to carry around your phone or car keys when you are out and about.

        

The jersey harem trousers are made from a soft jersey material and so comfortable to wear. They are plain, not patterened, and come in 8 different colours. They have elasticated waistbands which allows them to fit all sizes! They also have elastic round the ankles. They are available now from Delal Designs. I am so happy I can now offer them for sale to people in the UK. They are such an amazing and versatile garment. I hope you love them as much as I do!

                   


7 comments:

  1. They do look so comfortable, and I find anything with an elastic waist easy to wear. My cousin has a fabulous pair of harem trousers in a lovely print design, which look great with a pair of flat shoes.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so comfy, I think I really need to invest in a pair of two myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try them. You won't regret it :)

      Delete
  3. I Love them in the summer, they are so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear them all year round. It has been lovely weather for them this week though :)

      Delete
  4. I actually love the idea of wearing the Turkish 'şalvar', the cotton harem trousers, in everyday life outside of Turkey! I know that it's looked down upon in the cities in Turkey, but now that I see you wearing them it's such a fashion statement really! A really good alternative to the existing jersey harem pants. Which I'm actually a bit hesitant about regarding any possible show through. Could you please inform me about the jersey harem trousers showing underwear (lines)? I would love to try them out!

    ReplyDelete