Friday 3 April 2015

Latest homemade knits

        

Back in the autumn, I took up knitting again in order to make my children some lovely, warm clothing for the winter. There is something special about a hand knitted garment and I particularly like the children to wear them as they seem much warmer than the shop-bought ones. I love knitting outfits for the children. Not only do they look good, they are also quick to knit because of their size. Children's clothes are by far my favourite thing to knit. 

I spent a couple of evenings searching for patterns to make the children. There are so many to choose from that it took me a while to pick my favourite. I normally look for patterns on a website called Ravelry which is an amazing website for knitters and crocheters packed full of thousands of knitting and crochet patterns.There are lots of free patterns too! I discovered the website about 5 years ago now when I took up knitting again and since then I've been addicted to it. I rarely look elsewhere for patterns now.

After I had chosen the patterns, I had to search for some yarn. I ordered a great big boxful from the internet and waited for it to be delivered. I shop a lot online these days as it's just so much easier than dragging young children around the shops! I bought enough yarn for at least 8 items of clothing but haven't managed to get through it all yet.

This is what I have made so far...

The first thing I made was a jumper for D with lace pattern down the arms and back.

        

This is the front.

        

This is the back.

                     

Here she is modelling it before I finished the arms. Just checking if it fit.

                    

Next I made this cute little sleeveless cardigan. This is actually my favourite out of all of the things I made, I really love how it turned out.

                   

The back view.

        

An action shot!

        

I also made this beautiful cardigan for D in pink, her favourite colour. The lace pattern was quite complicated but worth it in the end!

        

The finished cardigan.

        

Here are the children modelling their handmade knits. D is such a poser!

        

I made this dark green cardigan for R because I think boys should have a few cute cardigans too. The first time he wore it was to a wedding and he was very proud to be wearing his hand knitted cardi. He is a big fan of my knits. I started making D's garments first and he couldn't wait for me to get started on his and kept asking me all the time when I would knit him something!

        

The next thing I knit for R was this fair isle jumper. It is the first fair isle pattern I've tried. I found it a bit difficult to knit but now I know how to do it I'm sure it will be easier in future. R was very pleased with it anyway.

                             

Here is is modelling his jumper before I sewed the buttons on. He just couldn't wait to try it on!

                         

I also made some socks for my brother as a birthday gift. I used a yarn that was black and grey so when I knit with it it came out like this.

        

Here are the finished socks. My brother tells me they are very comfortable and soft. I would like to make a pair of socks for myself soon.


8 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to take up knitting and these pieces look lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try. It's not as hard as it looks :)

      Delete
  2. You are very talented, those knits are gorgeous. My mum made some blankets for my little boy, I wish she knitted me a cardigan x
    http://lilinhaangel.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Why not ask your mum to teach you? It's great fun :)

      Delete
  3. As a knitter myself, i can really appreciate all the hard work gone in to these. well done they are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your very talented! I love knitting but I am nowhere near as good as you sister!

    Melissa xx || www.melissazia.co.uk

    ReplyDelete