Wednesday 25 February 2015

Vintage sewing patterns

I have mentioned previously how I love vintage sewing patterns. I often trawl ebay looking for patterns that I love. There are so many to discover. I can't remember exactly how I came across my love of vintage patterns. I think I may have just been searching for patterns one day and stumbled across some and as soon as I found them I started looking for more.

I was intrigued by the various styles in different eras and quickly discovered those eras I liked and those I didn't. Now when I'm searching I tend to stick to the eras I like which makes searching easier. 

I have aqcuired quite a number of patterns so far but am sorry to say I have not got round to making many yet. I do not have much time on my hands at the moment and find it difficult to schedule it into my day. Also, I tend to switch between knitting and sewing depending on the time of year. Knitting is for winter and sewing is for summer, that's how I look at it at the moment. As it's winter knitting has really been taking up my time lately. I had a lot of knitting projects I was working on for the kids. I love to see them in my hand knitted creations!

Along with my pattern library, I have also collected quite a stash of fabric. I buy by the meter at fabric shops or sometimes I go to a charity shop and buy a duvet cover and use that. That is a really frugal way to buy fabric as you end up getting a large amount of material really cheaply. I love to try turning something old into something new. There's something really satisfying about recycling.

Here I will tell you about my favourite eras and show you some of the patterns I have picked up so far from my favourite decades:

1980s

           

Now I'm not usually a big fan of 80s fashion but I love this dress, the one on the far right in particular. I love the pleats down the skirt, sleeves and neck detailing. Just remove the shoulder pads, I'm really not a fan of them, and you would have a gorgeous dress.

1970s

I never thought I would like 70s fashion (I used to think it was all about flared trousers and tassels) until I saw the length of the dresses. You can find so many 70s patterns for maxi dresses and skirts and there is normally a very modest option so no need to do any adjustments.

           

I adore the second from the right with the pussy bow but I would make it maxi length for modesty.

           

I have actually started cutting the fabric out ready to be sewn. This is one of my favourite dresses. I am making the dress in the middle.

                 

This is a fabulous maxi skirt pattern. I love the frill round the bottom of the skirt. I actually made this once already and it is a favourite in my wardrobe. I did, however, make the frill a bit shorter in the length. I prefer it that way.

1950s

This era always reminds me of big, frilly petticoats and I don't particularly like this look, especially with a maxi length skirt or dress. Leave out the petticoat for a stylish look.

                

I adore the dress on the right. I think the button detailing is fabulous and I love the versatility of it as you could wear it buttoned up or unbuttoned. I really like how the fabric in the button panel will show when you move. I can't wait to make this dress, in maxi length of course.

                 

This is similar to the dress above with more fabric on one side than the other. I love the way it is gathered at the top and fastened with a button. I would make this dress maxi length and with long sleeves.


1940s

                

This is really one of my favourite fashion eras. It normally involves really interesting cuts and ruching. You can really see what I'm talking about in this pattern. Lots of ruching round the stomach area makes the dress very flattering. I cannot wait to make this dress in maxi length.

1930s

Now I don't have any 1930s patterns, unfortunately, but I had to mention this era as it is my absolute favourite. The dresses just look so elegant.



Here are some good examples of  blouse, dress and skirt from the era. The cut of the blouse is lovely and has great detailing. The dress looks elegant and flattering. You could wear a long sleeved top underneath or make longer sleeves for modesty. I absolutely love the maxi skirt. It looks fabulous with the frills and mass of fabric at the back.

                            

Here is an example of an amazing maxi dress. Lovely ruching again and the belt at the waist is a lovely touch. 


           

Just look at this stunning wedding dress! Lovely ruching and bow detail round the waist. Also, fabulous short sleeves on the right, you could get away with this by wearing a long sleeved top underneath.


9 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to sew and make my own clothes. I love the look of the 1940s patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great skill to have if you ever get the opportunity to learn :)

      Delete
  2. Love the 1950s! Great post, I've always been interested in sewing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the button down 50s dress! Do you take orders? Ha! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had the time to make them for myself! So defo no time for orders ATM :( sorry.

      Delete
  4. I love the 30s era. Such elegant fashions. I don't sew or knit myself but I have friends who are totally crazy about quilting. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These patterns are amazing, the 1980s red dress, the maxi skirt from the 70s - totally drooling over these.

    #UKBloggers

    ReplyDelete